Want to find a job in a café, restaurant or bar?
60 hours of supervised hands-on practical experience will get you ready and build your confidence to stand out to employers.
Taught on our top of the range WEGA coffee machines, simulating a real-life busy café scene on our vibrant campus, students experience a range of essential coffee making skills. No prior experience necessary. Receive 25 hours per week of study: A mix of both practical and theoretical knowledge on all things coffee!
Taught by industry trained professionals, students undertake three units of Nationally Recognised Training – SIXTFXSA005 (Use hygienic practices for food safety), SITHFAB025 (Prepare and serve espresso coffee) and SITHFAB021 (Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol).
BROWNS takes a personalised interest in the delivery of its courses to ensure that students are trained to the highest standard.
- Comprehensive training in milk frothing techniques for silky smooth milk, latte art, brewing methods, tray service, tea preparation plus more.
- Develop skills to become more employable in the Australian hospitality industry.
- Develop hospitality-specific English language vocabulary.
- Receive a Statement of Attainment for the above three competencies from the Tourism, Travel and Hospitality training package which are nationally recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework.
- BROWNS Barista uniform provided.
Duration: 5 weeks
2024 Course Start dates*: View 2024 Academic Calendar hereCampus: Available at our Melbourne, Brisbane and Gold Coast campuses.
Mode of Study: On-campus
- Strong Pre-Intermediate English language level or above
- Student, Working Holiday or Visitor visa
- Verifiable results of a standardised English test or the BROWNS Online Placement Test
- Age: 16 and over
CRICOS Code: 080399J
RTO Code: 31998
*Subject to student numbers.
This should be used as a guide only and may be subject to change at anytime. View the Barista@BROWNS sample timetable here
“Hi, I am Mijin from Korea. I had a great experience and made many valuable friends in the Barista@BROWNS program.
"Hi, I'm Natsu from Japan. I came to Australia to become a barista and learn about Australian culture and the coffee industry. Lucky I got a job right after graduating from Barista@BROWNS. I had some experience at a cafe in Japan but soon I realised that it's totally different from Australia to Japan.
"I get paid per week about AUD$400.
Carolina Agudelo, Colombia
"Hi, I'm Carolina from Colombia.
Yu-Ta Lin, Taiwan
"I have always had an interest in coffee and wanted to get a job in Australia as a Barista.
I now work for Ocean on Omeros on the Gold Coast as a Barista/Bartender and I am so happy.