The Ultimate Australian Road Trip – Queensland
Written by Anna, Diego, Enrica & Camilo (Intensive General English (Advanced level) BROWNS students)
Fun Facts about Queensland:
- Also known as “the sunshine state”
- 300+ days of sunshine
- Stated flower is the Cooktown orchid
- The capital is Brisbane
- Has five of Australia’s eleven world natural heritage areas
- Home to more than 4 million people
- About one third of Queenslanders are migrants or the children of migrants
Popular Places in Queensland:
- Gold Coast
- Brisbane (capital)
- Noosa Heads
- Hervey Bay (Fraser Island)
- Airlie beach (Whitsunday Islands)
- Townsville (Magnetic Island)
- Cairns (Great Barrier Reef and Kuranda)
Where to Party:
- Gold Coast (Surfers Paradise): Sin City, One Cavill, Bedroom Lounge Bar and BROWNS students go on Tuesday to the Beer Garden and Melbas on Thursday
- Brisbane: Stockies (go there on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night) & Fortitude Valley
- Airlie Beach: Magnums and Mama Africa
- Darwin: Opium, Ducks Nuts Bar & Grill, The Precinct Tavern
How to get there:
The best way to travel up the East Coast is probably by car or campervan.
Most highways/roads along the East Coast are of good quality.
It is also possible to go by public transport such as train and bus.
Where to stay:
My favourite places to stay are the YHA Hostels.
They are in all the popular places in Queensland.
But… there are many more hostels! Check out the website below to compare:
If you have a campervan, I recommend buying the ‘’Camps Australia Wide’’ in the App store.
This application shows all the campsites and holiday parks in Australia.
Gold Coast Highlights:
- Burleigh Heads
–Burleigh Head National Park (rainforest with birds and walking trails)
–David Fleay Wildlife Park (wildlife park with walking tracks through groves and rainforest)
- Lamington National Park (1h drive from BROWNS)
- Springbrook National Park (1h drive from BROWNS)
–Watch the sunset with a view of the Gold Coast skyline
- Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
- Surfers Paradise
–Sky point (get a discount ticket at the BROWNS reception)
–Check out the beach!
Rent a car to get to the National Parks or use public transport (bus and tram).
Find out more about the Gold Coast: https://www.destinationgoldcoast.com/
Brisbane & Around:
– South Bank Parklands (Great place to have a picnic by the river)
– City Botanic Gardens
– Kangaroo Point Cliffs (An amazing cityscape view)
– XXXX Brewery tours (Well-known beer from Queensland)
- Australia Zoo (a personal favourite!)
–Located in Beerwah, north of Brisbane
–Big, amazing zoo & home of the Australian Crocodile Hunter S. Irwin
- Moreton Island (3.5h drive from BROWNS)
–Feed dolphins & Snorkelling
- North Stradbroke Island (3h drive from BROWNS)
–Historical Museum introducing the island’s Aboriginal history
–North Gorge Headlands Walk & Naree Budjong Djara National park
- Fraser Island (3.5h drive from BROWNS to Hervey Bay)
–Located at the coast of Hervey Bay
–Watch the whales during winter
–Go to Rainbow Beach
- The Whitsundays (1h and 45min flight to Airlie beach)
–Located at the coast of Airlie beach
–Go sailing, diving, snorkelling or kayaking
–Top beaches: Whitehaven beach, Chalkies beach and Langford island
- Magnetic Island (2h flight to Townsville)
–Located at the coast of Townsville
–There are koalas and rock wallabies
–Snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef
Cairns & Around:
- Great Barrier Reef
–Diving, snorkelling and swimming among fish, turtles and beautiful corals
–Magnificent rainforest and interesting markets
- Daintree rainforest and national park
–Take the river ferry and see wild crocodiles in the river
- Cape Tribulation Area
–Only place in the world where the rainforest is connected to the reef
Find out more: https://www.cairnstoday.com.au/
*This article was written by students and should be used as a guide only. If you have any questions about travelling around Australia, we recommend you contact Backpackers World Travel.
- Road trip from Brisbane to Uluru (written by Cristian & Fernando – BROWNS Intensive General English students)
- Road trip from Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne, Uluru (written by Sayo & Jihoon – BROWNS Intensive General English students)
Click here to read all the articles relating to this post.